Friday, May 13, 2011

Stevie Wonder - Birth of a Legend

Stevie Wonder is 61 years old today.  I am so grateful to be living during the time that he has been able to bless the world with his incredible talent.  He is quite simply a tremendous gift from God to us all. It is impossible to measure what his contribution to music has been, and continues to be. How does one even begin?  We all have a special Stevie Wonder place in our musical hearts, so I will simply allow each of you to reflect on what his music has meant to you individually.  I mean, really, what else can you do?

Anyway, check out this performance of Stevie playing what I believe is my favorite song (at this particular moment) by Stevie.  I say "at this particular moment" because if I wait another five minutes, I will recall a different favorite song, and then if I were to wait another five minutes, I will recall another favorite song, and so on.  That could literally go on for hours. Yeah, really! You try thinking of what your favorite Stevie Wonder song is and see what I mean!
    

And now, on with the quiz! No cheating! If you really know your Stevie, you should do pretty well on this without having to peek at the answere.  Good Luck!

1)         What is Stevie Wonder’s full birth name?

2)         Where was Stevie Wonder born?

3)         What is the name of Stevie Wonder’s first major hit?
Extra Credit:  How old was he when the song was recorded?

4)         This popular song is the only hit that Stevie made to ever reach number one on each of the following charts: The Billboard Hot 100, Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, Adult Contemporary Music, and The UK Singles Chart. Name that tune.
            Hint: The answer is not “Superstition.”

5)         “Superstition” and “You are the Sunshine of My Life” were two number one hits that were released from the same album.  Name it.
            a) Talking Book
b) Innervisions
c) Songs in the Key of Life



Answers to the Trivia Quiz:



Okay, let's see how you did!


Ready?


1)        Stevie Wonder was born in Saginaw, Michigan

2)        Stevland Hardaway Judkins.  His name was later changed to Stevland Hardaway Morris, which is his legal name to this day.

3)        Wonder was 13 when the hit "Fingertips (Pt. 2)",  was released in 1963.  It was taken from the live album called Recorded Live: The 12 Year Old Genius.  Wonder played, bongos, and harmonica, while a young Marvin Gaye played drums.

4)        I Just Called to Say I Love You

5)       The answer is a), Talking Book. .  "Superstition" and "You Are the Sunshine of My Life," were both number one hits from this album which also features Jeff Beck, David Sanborn, and Ray Parker, Jr.

            Did you get’em all right? If so, congratulations!

No comments:

Post a Comment